Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Fried Pork Chops

It was time for dinner. Mr. Kim Chee wanted Oven-Baked Breaded Pork Chops. I wanted fried chicken. So I compromised and made fried pork chops. And what a great decision that was!

Like my recipe for Chicken Nuggets, I soak the pork chops in buttermilk before frying. The buttermilk keeps the meat moist, the breading crisp, and has a delicious tang. I salted and peppered it.

I like marinating in plastic bags because it's easy cleanup, and it ensures that each piece of meat gets touched by the marinade.

You can marinate the pork as short as 30 minutes, or as long as overnight.

The breading was really simple--just seasoned flour.

I sprinkled in some buttermilk, and mixed it around, to make it more crumbly. The rougher texture of the breading will give you a more varied texture when you fry.

Make sure the chops are well covered with the breading.

Heat an inch or so of vegetable oil in a heavy-duty pan. I turned my heat on medium, which was the perfect temperature. You want that "sizzle" when you drop in the chops, but you don't want it to burn.

And be very careful when you put in the chops! Hot oil is...hot!

Here's the kind of fry you want. Brisk, gentle bubbles, but not crazy spattering bubbles.

When the chops are golden-brown on one side, carefully flip 'em over and continue cooking until both sides are equally crispy and delicious. I'd gauge about 4-5 minutes a side.












Is that not a beautiful piece of pork? It tasted as great as it looks! It's not the most heart-healthy meal, but my gosh it was good. Moist, and not at all greasy. Homestyle cooking at its best!


Recipe: Fried Pork Chops

2 bone-in pork chops
buttermilk (enough to cover pork chops)
salt and pepper
1 c. flour
oil, for frying


Marinate chops in seasoned buttermilk for 30 minutes-overnight.

Season flour. Add enough buttermilk to make a rough, crumbly coating. Coat pork chops well on both sides.

Heat at least 1 inch of oil in a heavy-duty pot, over medium heat. When oil is hot but not scalding, carefully set pork chops in oil. Fry 4-5 minutes a side until chops are crisp and golden brown.

No comments:

Post a Comment