Monday, August 8, 2011

Chimichurri Sauce


I remember a couple years ago when chimichurri sauce was all the rage. Everything had this weird green sauce on it. I ignored it and went on with my day.

But one day I wanted to do something new with steak. I'm a big believer in a simple steak--salt, pepper, maybe some Worcestershire or grill seasoning. But I do like adding steak toppings. I was bored with butters, though, and in the interest of keeping my fridge as condiment-free as possible, I don't have any steak sauce. So I finally decided to take the plunge and make chimichurri sauce. And guess what? It was quick, easy, fresh, and I would totally make it again.

All you need is a food processor or blender. Pack it full with a couple cups (about one large bunch) of parsley. Cut off the leaf parts and leave the stems for chicken broth.

Drizzle in some olive oil.

Some red wine vinegar will give the chimichurri a little zip. I feel like vinegar brings out the bright green-ness in fresh produce, too. Crisps it up and whatnot.

A few garlic cloves will give you great garlic breath.

The recipe below says 5-6 garlic cloves, but my store is still selling mammoth garlic cloves, so only used 3.

I like a little spice, so I added some red pepper flakes too. A little fresh jalapeno might be good here instead, to go with the fresh flavors.

Ready to go for a spin. 1, 2, 3, go!

Here's what it looks like after whirring around in the food processor.

I stuck the sauce in the fridge while I prepared the steak. That way, the flavors could mellow and come together.

I also tossed some of the sauce with boiled potatoes. Makes a great side dish.
Here's the steak I'm serving it with. That's what I like to call a Flintstone steak. 4 minutes a side, and it was ready for its green bath!













Add some color to your steak by spooning some chimichurri sauce over the top! Red meat is healthy when you offset it with something green, right? ;)


 Recipe: Chimichurri Sauce

2 c. parsley (1 large bunch)
1/2 c. olive oil
3 tbsp. red wine vinegar
4-5 cloves garlic
1 tsp. red pepper flakes


Combine all ingredients in a food processor or blender. Blend until smooth. Serve over meat or vegetables. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment