Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Roast Pork with Mushroom Gravy

I love pork and mushrooms. More specifically, a big ol' slab of roasted pork topped with mushroom gravy. I got the tiniest pork roast I had ever seen in our CSA package and I wondered for days what to do with it. Should I do something creative? Try a new spice? Finally I decided to go with an old favorite. Because who doesn't love meat 'n gravy?

This is a super simple meal and one that could even be made during the week, if your roast is small enough. Check out how small this guy was! Crazy. It was just a little couple-pounder (and part of that weight was the bone!) I'm not complaining. It was the perfect amount for our little family!

Anyway. I roasted the pork on a layer of mushrooms and onions. So that's the first thing that got taken care of. Clean your mushrooms with a damp paper towel (or just run them under some water...I promise I won't tell!)

I used crimini (baby portabellos) but you could use regular white button mushrooms too.

Then slice them up. I used a 9x9 cake pan to roast my pork. Obviously if your roast is larger, you'll need a larger pan (and more mushrooms.)

Slice up some onions too. Lay them on top of the mushrooms.

And of course, don't forget to use salt and pepper.

For a deeper, more complex flavor, I sprinkled some Worcestershire sauce over the top of the mushrooms and onions.

Okay, on to the roast. I decided to flavor it with a garlic-herb crust.

I used garlic, fresh parsley, fresh rosemary, and dried thyme. If you have all dried, or all fresh, or half-and-half, don't worry. Just remember to use 1 tsp. of dried herbs for every 1 tbsp. fresh.

The garlic got a rough chop.

Then I added the herbs and some more salt and pepper, and chopped everything together to make a sort of paste.

(Don't forget to strip the rosemary leaves off the tough woody stem!)

I coated the roast with the paste and laid it on top of the mushrooms and onions.

The pork roasted at 350F for about 1 hour and 45 minutes. They say to roast 30 minutes a pound; mine went a little longer and was still a little rare. I like my pork on the rarer side; if you're more comfortable with well-done pork, leave it in for another 10-15 minutes.

Anyway, when the pork was done, I removed it from the pan and set it aside.

I scraped the mushrooms, onions, and any juice and yummy meat bits from the baking pan into a regular pan. I added a little butter too.

Once the butter was melted, I added 2 tbsp. of flour to make a roux.

Everything was whisked together. It's important to make sure the flour and butter are well incorporated.

Then I slowly poured in a can of beef broth (if you can find pork broth, that would be extra yummy!)

Whisk together until smooth, and heat until the gravy begins to thicken and bubble.

While the gravy is warming, you can start slicing your pork.

The picture really did make it look rarer than it really was--but also keep in mind that the breed of pig used by Painted Hill Farm produces darker meat.









Anyhow. Cover your pork slices with some of your decadent gravy and I promise you'll be in heaven. Serve alongside mashed potatoes and I guarantee it doesn't get any better than this.


Recipe: Roast Pork with Mushroom Gravy

3/4 lb. crimini or button mushrooms, cleaned and sliced
1/2 onion, sliced
salt and pepper, to taste
1 tbsp. Worcestershire sauce

2 garlic cloves
2 tbsp. fresh parsley
1 tbsp. fresh rosemary
1 tsp. dried thyme
salt and pepper, to taste

2-3 lb. bone-in pork roast

1 tbsp. butter
2 tbsp. flour
1 can beef broth


Layer mushrooms and onions in a shallow roasting pan. Season with salt and pepper and Worcestershire
sauce.

Mash garlic, herbs, and salt and pepper together to create a paste. Rub paste all over pork roast. Place pork roast on top of mushrooms and onions.

Roast at 350F for 30-35 minutes per pound.

Remove roasted pork from pan and set aside. Scrape mushrooms, onions, and any yummy bits from the roasting pan to a regular pan. Add butter.

Once butter has melted, sprinkle in flour and whisk together to make a roux. Slowly add in beef broth; whisk until smooth. Heat until gravy is bubbling and thickened. Serve over pork roast.

No comments:

Post a Comment