Monday, June 27, 2011

Creamy Cole Slaw

Keeping with the theme of simple summer side dishes to get you ready for the 4th of July, today's recipe is quick and easy and always a crowd-pleaser. 

One thing I love to pair with Pulled Pork Sandwiches, Packers Playoff Burgers, or Dry-Rubbed BBQ Chicken is some nice, crisp, creamy cole slaw. It's a quick and easy side dish that uses ingredients most people already have on hand, and it's really easy to throw together the dressing and keep it on hand for later.

You need just a handful of ingredients.

Mince the onion (as fine as you need to, depending on your family's onion preferences.) Mix the onion and mayo together in a large-ish bowl.

Throw in the sugar. I like a sweet slaw.

Add some cider vinegar for some tang. Cider vinegar makes me think of summer.

I ground in some fresh pepper and celery seed too. I like celery seed. It's got its own flavor and aroma, and you get that celery flavor without the added crunch and texture of celery, which I know some people don't like.

The dressing was further thinned down with buttermilk. I like the extra zing buttermilk gives the slaw.

Finally, I toss in a bag of pre-shredded cole slaw. I prefer cole slaw when it's freshly made, so I only add about half the bag. Once the slaw is depleted, I add more shredded cabbage, so the cabbage is always crisp. I also don't salt until right before I serve it, because the salt draws the moisture out of the cabbage. If you prefer your cole slaw without as much crunch, add all the cabbage and let it sit for an hour or two before serving. Either way, this slaw is a nice accompaniment to any summer meal!


Recipe: Creamy Cole Slaw

2 tbsp. onion, finely minced
13 c. mayonnaise
1/3 c. white sugar
1 1/2 tbsp. apple cider vinegar
1/2 tsp. celery seed
pepper, to taste
1/4 c. buttermilk
1 bag of pre-shredded cole slaw


Combine all ingredients except shredded cole slaw. Stir well. Add cole slaw and toss. Serve immediately or let flavors meld together for 1-2 hours before serving, depending on your preference. Salt right before serving, if desired.

1 comment: