Friday, June 10, 2011

Greek Chicken


I wanted something a little different for dinner, and had a craving for Greek food. It's hard to find good Greek in our neck of the woods, and after staring sadly at pictures of food from my favorite Greek restaurants, I decided I would make my own.

Here are the ingredients. All pretty standard kitchen fare. I used both dried and fresh herbs, because I had fresh rosemary and wanted to take advantage of it.

As I always remind you, if the recipe calls for a teaspoon of dried herbs and you have fresh, up the amount to a tablespoon. It goes the opposite way, too.

I wanted the chicken to marinate for a while, so I grabbed a big Ziploc bag and slopped in a big ol' spoonful of dijon mustard.

Some dried oregano was next.

And some dried thyme.

Then the zest of half a lemon.

I threw in a big tree of rosemary.

Fresh rosemary makes me happy. If I could use one fresh herb for the rest of my life, it would be rosemary.

I crushed up a ton of garlic. I love garlic.


Then I added the garlic to the bag, and also the juice from the whole lemon.

I added ingredients all out of order. I must have been in a hurry.

Some nice olive oil rounded out the marinade.

And, as always, don't forget to add salt and pepper.

Smoosh everything in the bag together to blend them.

Toss the chicken in and let it marinate all day.

When you're ready for dinner, go out and preheat your grill to medium high/high. Let your chicken rest at room temperature while the grill heats up.












Grill the chicken for 12-15 minutes per side, or until completely cooked. Let the cooked chicken rest for a few minutes before serving. Serve with rice pilaf or grilled potatoes.


Recipe: Greek Chicken

1/4 c. olive oil
1 tbsp. dijon mustard
5 cloves garlic
1 tsp. dried rosemary
1 tsp. dried thyme
1 tsp. dried oregano
zest of half a lemon
juice of 1 lemon
2 lbs. bone-in chicken parts

Combine all ingredients in a large Ziploc bag. Let marinate 6-8 hours.

Preheat grill to high/medium-high. Let chicken come to room temperature while grill preheats.

Cook chicken 25-30 minutes (12-15 minutes a side) until cooked through.

No comments:

Post a Comment