Friday, December 17, 2010

Yeah French Toast!


For some reason, the idea of wet bread squicks me out, yet I love stuffing, bread pudding, and French toast. I can never say no to French toast. Maybe it's something about the way the custard soaks into the bread, or the spicy scent of cinnamon, or the fact that it's smothered in syrup.

For those of you who don't know, today's recipe is a play on the comedian Heywood Banks' song "Yeah Toast!" (Seen here.)

The batter begins with some flour.

Whisk in some milk. I wasn't able to whisk, pour, and take a picture all at once, so my batter ended up a bit lumpy. But it didn't affect the French toast at all. I suppose lumpy batter works fine for pancakes, so it must work for French toast as well.

Season your plain milk and flour with cinnamon, nutmeg, vanilla, salt, and sugar. Make it a custard by adding some eggs.

See? A little lumpy. But you don't want to overbeat the flour, and, like I said, the little lumps really didn't do much in terms of taste or texture.

Here's my French toast bread. I used a loaf of honey-wheat bread from Panera and had them slice it thick. I've also used cinnamon-raisin bread (omitting the extra sugar in the recipe) and Texas toast. An eggy bread, like challah, makes amazing French toast.

Is it weird, to use Texas toast to make French toast?

Soak your bread in the batter in the egg mixture. I like to soak one side, and then flip it over.

The bread will get a sort of spongy texture. Let the excess batter drain off.

Melt some butter on a griddle or frying pan over medium-high heat.

Let your French toast cook until it's golden brown on both sides.

If you're making a bunch of French toast at once, I like to keep a plate in the oven at around 200-250F, and slip any finished French toast (or bacon, or sausage, or whatever) onto it to keep warm while I make the rest.






Serve your French toast with delicious breakfast sides like bacon, sausage, eggs, or fresh fruit. I like to drizzle my French toast with real maple syrup.

Got a whole loaf of bread that needs to get used but only one or two people? You're in luck--this recipe freezes well. Place your cooked French toast flat in a Ziploc bag (once the pieces are fully frozen, you can stack them on top of each other.) Heat up in the microwave under a moist paper towel or gently on the stovetop or oven.


Recipe: Yeah French Toast!

1/4 c. flour
1 c. half and half or milk
3 eggs
1 tbsp. sugar
1 tsp. vanilla
1 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. nutmeg
1/2 tsp. salt

10 slices of thick-sliced bread

butter, for melting


Preheat stovetop pan or griddle to medium-high heat.

Pour flour into a medium-sized bowl. Whisk in milk, eggs, and spices.

Soak both sides of the bread in the egg mixture until moist; allow any excess batter to drain off.

Melt butter in pan or on griddle. Gently lay toast onto pan or griddle.

Flip when one side is golden brown and allow second side to cook as long.

Eat warm!

No comments:

Post a Comment