Sunday, October 17, 2010

My Favorite Thing This Week

My favorite thing this week is soup. Knowing how to make a basic soup is an essential step in learning how to cook for yourself, especially if you're cooking for a crowd or on a budget. Once you teach yourself how to make homemade soup, you'll have a hard time going back to canned. Soup is easy to make (and you can really make anything into soup--need to get rid of some meat or vegetables? Turn it into soup!), it can be inexpensive, it can be healthy, it freezes and reheats well for future meals, and it's just a simple comfort food.

But soup can be so disappointing when you eat out. Oftentimes the soup they're selling is premade, from a bag or a can. If it's not, then it's watered down, or bready (I once had a lobster bisque that literally tasted like pureed bread), or full of mushy, too-soft vegetables. If it's any good, it's usually overpriced. Just one more reason to make your own.

Here are the soups I've brought to Kim Chee Casserole so far. Have you tried any?
Chicken and Wild Rice Soup

Tortilla Soup

Curried Butternut Squash Soup

Chicken Noodle Soup

Potato and Ham Chowder
















What's your favorite soup? French Onion and Potato Leek are on my radar ... let me know your favorite and it may show up on the blog in the future!

1 comment:

  1. My favorite is clam chowder. My husband makes killer homemade chicken noodle soup, he even makes the noodles homemade, YUM!

    ReplyDelete