Friday, January 13, 2012

Hollandaise Sauce/Lazy Man's Eggs Benedict

One of my favorite breakfast items is eggs benedict. If we go out to breakfast and the place has ol' eggs benny, you can be sure that I'll order them. But we don't go out to breakfast much, so I decided I'd make my own Hollandaise and Lazy Man's Eggs Benedict.

Turns out it's pretty easy. Here's all you need.

First, separate the eggs from the yolks. I saved the egg whites for some scrambled eggs for The Kid. She sure loves eggs.

Then I heated a stick of butter up in the microwave, until it was melted and bubbly.

I sloooowly poured the hot, melted butter into the egg yolks. I used my immersion blender for mixing. You could also do this with a food processor or a regular blender.

Blend until all the butter is added and the egg yolks have paled in color and have thickened.

Add a squeeze of lemon juice. The lemon juice will add a bit of zesty flavor, as well as help "cook" the eggs.

A shake of hot sauce will do the same things.

Finally, a small spoonful of mustard will help stabilize your sauce and keep it from separating. It will also add some additional flavor.

And don't forget to add a bit of salt and pepper.

Here's the finished sauce.

I stuck the container it was in in a warm water bath, to keep the sauce from separating while I finished the rest of the meal.

Now to assemble the Lazy Man's Eggs Benedict. Usually eggs benny is made with a toasted English muffin, a slice of Canadian bacon, and a poached egg.

Unfortunately, Mr. Kim Chee ate the last English muffin. So I used a piece of toast. I toasted it in a pan with some butter--like how you'd make a grilled cheese sandwich, but without the cheese.

Then  I wiped out the pan and grilled a couple pieces of ham. I usually have ham in the house. Canadian bacon, not so much.

Then I topped it with a fried egg, over easy. It's a bit darker than I'd like, but I was hungry and got impatient.













Now you can pour the hollandaise over the top. So, so delicious!!


Recipe: Hollandaise Sauce
4 egg yolks
1 stick butter, melted and bubbly-hot
1 tbsp. lemon juice
1 tsp. hot sauce
1 tsp. mustard
salt and pepper, to taste


Pour the yolks into a bowl (or a food processor or blender, if using those kitchen tools). Slowly add butter, using the blender/processor the entire time to incorporate butter.

Blend until yolks are light in color and have thickened in texture.

Add lemon juice, hot sauce, and mustard. Blend well. Add salt and pepper to taste. Place container of hollandaise in a warm water bath, if not serving immediately.




Recipe: Lazy Man's Eggs Benedict
toast
ham
egg, over easy


Top toast with ham and egg. Pour hollandaise sauce over the top. Serve!

No comments:

Post a Comment