Monday, January 17, 2011

Swedish Pancakes


Swedish pancakes were the special breakfast food we always had when Grandma came to visit--for years  I thought she was the only one who could possibly know how to make them. A Google search as an adult made me realize that, of course, that's not true, and after much research, I was finally able to share the joy of these crepe-like pancakes with my family and friends.

This recipe makes a lot of pancakes. I usually half everything, and it makes more than enough for our small family. They reheat fairly well the next day, too, if you've got any leftovers.

Start with a large bowl and some flour.

Sprinkle in a bit of sugar and some salt. Whisk everything together.


Make a well in the middle of your bowl. Pour in a stick of melted butter.

Then a whole lot of milk.

Crack 4 eggs and beat them lightly. Those go in the bowl too.

For best results, whisk as your pour everything in, or use electric beaters to blend everything. Lumps are life's little annoyances.
The last ingredient is a bit of vanilla. It gives you a nice, subtle flavor.

Was that the easiest batter or what?

Now get out a nonstick pan. I usually use two pans at once; otherwise the wait for dinner can be a while, since you can only make one pancake at a time.

I use a stick of cold (or frozen) butter that's partially unwrapped. Heat your pan over medium heat. When you're ready to pour your first pancake, swirl your stick around the pan a few times.

Use a measuring cup to pour some of your batter into the pan. I used a half cup for my large (12 inch) pan. For my 10 inch, I use a third-cup.

Now swirl the pan to distribute the batter in the pan. You want it to be a thin, but even, layer.

When the batter is set and no longer wet (like in this picture), gently run a spatula underneath. You want to get the spatula as far toward the center of the pancake as you can.

In one quick motion, flip the pancake over.

It may take a little practice to get the flipping down. Other times, your pancake might not flip all the way or get folded in funny places. Don't beat yourself up about it. They'll still taste delicious in the end.

I like to fold my pancakes into fourths before taking them out of the pan. This makes it much easier to remove and serve them.

Since it's such a slow process, I also like to turn the oven on, around 250F. I put all my finished panckes on a plate and keep them in the oven to ensure they stay warm.







I like my pancakes simple, with some syrup over the top. But I know other people who like to slather their pancakes with butter or spread them with jam. There's really no way to go wrong with these pancakes!


Recipe: Swedish Pancakes

2 2/3 c. flour
1/4 c. sugar
1 tsp. salt

1 stick butter, melted
4 c. milk
4 eggs, lightly beaten

1 stick butter, very cold, partially unwrapped


In a large bowl, whisk flour, sugar, and salt together.

Whisk in melted butter, milk, and eggs.

Heat a nonstick pan over medium heat. When pan is hot, swirl the end of the butter stick around the bottom.

Use a measuring cup to pour the batter into the pan. Swirl to evenly distribute the batter.

When the pancake loses its wet look and is set, gently flip the pancake over.

When pancake is golden brown, fold into quarters and move to a warm plate in the oven. Continue until all batter is used up.

No comments:

Post a Comment