Friday, January 28, 2011

Old-Fashioned Biscuits And Gravy


Mr. Kim Chee loves biscuits and gravy. When we go out to breakfast at ToKen BBQ, he likes to order their biscuits and gravy. They bring out these humongous biscuits and a whole soup bowl full of sausage and milk gravy. Mmmm. They're sure not good for you, but they are good to eat! And they're pretty easy to make at home.

I started out with a pound of sausage.

Get it going in a pan. I like to use a pan that isn't nonstick--the little bits that stick to the bottom of the pan are flavor.

Keep poking at your meat to break it into small pieces. When it's all nice and browned, you'll need to add some flour.

And you'll also have to add in some oil and butter. Yes, I know--it's already bad enough for you. But sausage today is pretty lean, and you don't get enough drippings to make a good gravy. So to make the fat-to-flour ratio even, you'll have to add in fat. Deal with it.

When you've got everything stirred together, you can add in your milk.

The best milk gravies are made with whole milk. But we don't drink whole milk, and I hate buying it because then we have to figure out what to do with the rest. So I used 2 cups of 2 percent milk and a half cup of half-and-half.

Give your gravy a hefty dose of salt and pepper. If you taste your gravy later and think something is missing, you probably just need to add more salt and pepper.

I also added a little dried sage.

Decrease your heat a bit and give your gravy some good stirs. Let it come to a heavy simmer so it can thicken up for you.

Oh my goodness. How good does that look?















For my biscuits, I just used my Flaky Biscuits recipe. I made them before starting the sausage and had them on standby while the gravy made itself. You could use any biscuit recipe you like (even canned biscuits, although don't tell me if you do!) I like some flavor variety so I made some scrambled eggs and hash browns, too. These biscuits make a rich dinner treat, and both the gravy and biscuits reheat wonderfully for breakfast the next day. Make these for your family--you won't regret it!


Recipe: Old-Fashioned Biscuits and Gravy

1 lb. breakfast sausage

1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1 tablespoon butter
1/4 c. flour

2 c. milk
1/2 c. half and half

salt and pepper, to taste
1 teaspoon dried sage


In a large saucepan (preferably not a nonstick pan), brown sausage over medium-high heat. Constantly break up the meat so it's in small pieces.

Once the sausage has browned, add butter, oil, and flour. Stir until butter is melted and everything is combined.

Add milk and half and half. Give everything a good stir.

Season with salt, pepper, and sage. Reduce heat to medium. Allow gravy mixture to come back up to a high simmer to thicken.

Spoon thickened gravy over split biscuits and enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. Biscuits and gravy are one of my favorite foods of all time, yet I have never made them myself. I will try your recipe!

    ReplyDelete