Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Miso Slaw

I bought a head of cabbage, with the intent of making cabbage rolls. However, I sort of forgot what day it was, and realized after getting home that I just wasn't going to have time to make them that week. But I didn't want to waste the cabbage! So I whipped up a quick batch of Miso Slaw, which was a big hit.

I used savoy cabbage, because I figured the softer, lighter leaves would be easier to use for cabbage rolls. Plus, it's just pretty. I cut it into pretty shreds and set it aside.

The dressing starts with some sugar.

Next was some miso. Miso is a fermented bean paste. I used the yellow because it has a more mild flavor.

Sealed properly in the fridge, miso can last a very, very long time. Don't be afraid of buying it because you're not sure what to do with it and you don't want it to go bad. I speak from experience here!

Other uses for miso, you ask? There are tons! You could dissolve it in hot water and use it in place of chicken broth in soups, stews, and gravies.

Grab some tofu and kombu (seaweed) and make miso soup at home.

A spoonful or two added to regular chicken stock will liven it up.

You can make a marinade for chicken, fish, tofu, or vegetables (or just smear it on before cooking.)

If you're a Brit/Aussie and like Marmite/Vegemite, try some on toast.

There are tons of ways to use miso. Just get creative!

A few spoonfuls are all you need for the dressing.

Rice wine vinegar brings some tanginess to the party.

Then in goes the sesame oil. Because I love sesame oil.

A bit of mayo will lend stability to the dressing and help the components meld together, rather than separate like you see here.

Finally, vegetable oil thins the dressing and makes it easy to stir into the salad.

I admit, it's not the prettiest dressing. But it smelled amazing.

Pour it over the shredded cabbage.

And ignore my utensil drawer. It's forever open. I feel like I'm constantly shutting it to keep it out of pictures. But I forgot today.

Hey. It was a busy weeknight.

Toss the dressing with the cabbage.
















I made the slaw first, and let the cabbage soak up some of the dressing flavors while the rest of the dinner came together. When it was time to serve it, I sprinkled it with some sesame seeds and dug in. It was pretty amazing! Make it yourself and find out just how amazing it really is!

Recipe: Miso Slaw

1/2 cabbage, finely shredded
1 tbsp. sugar
1 1/2 tbsp. miso paste
1/4 c. vinegar
1 tsp. sesame oil
1 tbsp. mayonnaise
3 tbsp. vegetable oil

Combine all dressing ingredients in a small bowl. Pour over cabbage, combine well, and serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment