Friday, May 13, 2011

Simple Summer Salad

Sorry for the super-late post--Blogger apparently was not working most of today. Whew. I'm sure you've all been reloading your web browsers over and over and over again in the hopes that it would work and you could enter the Kim Chee Casserole 150th Post Contest! Right? 


Here's a super quick and super easy summer salad. I love a nice, crisp salad with the fresh sweetness of fruit and the nice crunch from nuts. This salad will take you 5 minutes to put together and will be gone equally quick! I feel almost guilty posting it--but couldn't stop myself from sharing this great salad.


For my salad today, I used pears, apples, and strawberries. Add your favorite fruits--blueberries, oranges, raspberries, grapes, even bananas!

I sliced everything thin so it was bite-sized but still recognizable. The pears and apples were quickly tossed with some lemon juice, to keep them looking fresh.

I lay the fruit over a bowlful of salad. I used a bagged salad blend--whichever kind you like is fine. This would even be great with spinach or arugula.

For the nutty crunch, I used honey roasted almonds that have been sliced. Using nuts that have been roasted add an extra dimension of crunch and flavor. The first time I made this salad, I used candied walnuts. Mmm.

Doesn't it look good already?
















To make it even better, I topped it with poppyseed dressing.

Poppyseed dressing is so great with fruity salads. You could use a light vinaigrette with equal success. Or even some fruit dip that you've thinned with milk.

Honestly, there's no real recipe for this. Add your favorite light-and-bright fruits and top it with crunchy nuts and a sweet dressing. In less than 5 minutes, you'll have a delicious, nutritious, and light salad. Add some grilled chicken or shrimp and dinner is taken care of!

No comments:

Post a Comment