Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Beef and Bean Burrilados


I asked The Kid what she wanted for dinner and she said, "Can we have tacos?" It was a good request--I had some ground beef that needed to get used. But we just had tacos last week, and we also didn't have any crunchy taco shells, which is my favorite way to have a taco. I have a recipe for chicken enchiladas, but not all the ingredients. I searched through my pantry to see what I had, and came up with this really good recipe.

I wasn't sure how to categorize these! They're obviously not tacos, even though they use taco seasoning. They have enchilada sauce and are baked, but have burrito ingredients. And since I'm not the place with the chihuahua I guess I can't call them enchiritos. So burrilados it is!

There are a few steps involved to assembling these, but it's really a lot easier than it looks. The first thing I did was prepare my meat filling. I started some onions out in a little vegetable oil.

Once the onions started to soften, I added the ground beef and broke it into small pieces.

I added a tablespoon and a half of my Perfect Taco Seasoning to the ground beef. I also added an equal amount of water.

Just a note--I cooked a whole pound of ground beef, but only ended up using about half of it. I saved the rest to make nachos the next day. 

While your beef simmers in the seasoning, you can start your sour cream filling. I used a small container of sour cream.

In a small bowl, I combined the sour cream with half a cup of shredded cheese. A bag of pre-shredded cheese is about 2 cups. Use half a cup here and save the rest of the bag to top the burrilados.

Then I added sliced green onions and some salt and pepper.

Stir everything together and set aside.

Open a can of refried beans. I used vegetarian beans but if you like the traditional lard-y beans, go ahead and use those. I put them in a small bowl and microwaved them for about 30 seconds, just to soften them a little.

By this time, you can remove the beef from the stove and set it to the side to cool a little bit.

I wrapped my burrilados in corn tortillas. I'm usually a flour tortilla person, but when you're baking the tortillas, especially in sauce, corn is better. Flour tortillas can get gummy and fall apart; corn stands up better to the moisture.

I heated some oil in a pan and let each tortilla fry for about 5 seconds a side until they softened and puffed a little. Be careful when you remove them from the oil!

On your work surface, lay out your lightly fried tortilla. Spread a thin layer of refried beans over the top.

Next, lay down a layer of your sour cream mixture.

Spread a spoonful of the taco meat down the center line of the tortilla.

Cover the taco meat with a spoonful of salsa.

Now fold the sides of the tortilla toward the center. Be gentle--you don't want to break the tortilla, and you don't want your filling to fall out. It might take you a tortilla or two to figure out the perfect amounts of filling. Don't worry, even if your burrilados are ugly, they'll still taste good!

Carefully flip the tortilla over and lay it seam-side-down in a shallow baking dish. Continue filling and rolling the tortillas until your dish is full. Mine held 8 burrilados, which was the perfect amount for us.

Preheat your oven to 350F. Open a can of enchilada sauce and pour evenly over all the burrilados.

Top with the rest of the shredded cheese. Bake for about 15 minutes, just until the cheese is melted.














How good do these look? They taste as good as they look! Try these out the next time you're craving a Tex-Mex flavor. Your family will thank you!

Recipe: Beef and Bean Burrilados

1/2 an onion, diced
vegetable oil, for cooking
1 lb. ground beef
1 1/2 tbsp. Perfect Taco Seasoning
1 1/2 tbsp. water

8 oz. container of sour cream
1/2 c. shredded cheese
3 green onions, sliced
salt and pepper, to taste

corn tortillas
oil, for frying

1 15-oz can refried beans

1 jar salsa (I ended up using about 1/3 or 1/2 a cup in total)

1 can enchilada sauce

1 1/2 c. shredded cheese


Preheat oven to 350F.

Saute onions in vegetable oil over medium heat. Once onions are softened, add ground beef and cook until browned. Add taco seasoning and water; let simmer for 10-15 minutes. Remove from heat.

In a small bowl, combine sour cream, shredded cheese, green onions, and salt and pepper.

In a shallow pan, fry tortillas in vegetable oil for 5 seconds a side. Remove tortilla from oil. Carefully spread a thin layer of refried beans over tortilla.

Spread a layer of sour cream mixture over tortilla.

Add a spoonful of ground beef and a spoonful of salsa into the center of the tortilla. Roll sides of the tortilla towards the center; carefully flip tortilla over and lay seam-side down in a shallow baking dish. Repeat for the rest of the tortillas.

Pour enchilada sauce over tortillas. Sprinkle the rest of the shredded cheese over the top.

Bake in preheated oven for 12-15 minutes until cheese is melted. Serve immediately.

No comments:

Post a Comment